Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Nostalgia Challenge - Affairs of the Heart

Nostalgia Challenge - Affairs of the Heart is the challenge this week...........
 
Before I get into the story of how I got married (the second time around), I will share some pictures of some Valentine gifts I have received. My husband, Thadd is not a very romantic person, though I have to say, he has gotten better over the years. He has tried to surprise me a few times but usually things just don't work out very well. Something always goes wrong (I live under Murphy's Law, remember?). But, I love him for him, so it doesn't really matter that much to me, especially on Valentine's Day. He does such much for me all year long that anything he does for Valentine's Day is just icing on the cake! It used to be I never got a card or anything from him because he never seemed to remember the day. That has changed. He usually gets me a card and some sort of flowers, etc. now. The cards he gets me are always funny. The cards I get him are always serious. LOL They say opposites attract.  Here are some pictures from past Valentines Days plus this year. In 2011, he got me roses. In 2012 he did totally surprise me with an edible flower arrangement made entirely from fruit. It also had a balloon attached. This year, he got me a bouquet of mixed flowers. He does try, but there is no romance involved. No romantic dinners or candles, just a 'here honey, I got these for you'. But I'm okay with it and he never wants me to get him anything but a card.
 


 
 
Okay, so how did we go about getting married? We had been dating for a while when Thadd got promoted and transferred to Cherry Hill, New Jersey. After he had been gone about six months, we decided I should move there as well. So, I quit my job in Florida, sold just about everything I had and moved there to be with him. I left my family behind and moved to a state I had only visited once and knew nothing about. My kids were living with their father (I was still trying to work through that loss) but at least I did not have to worry about uprooting them. We lived together in New Jersey for about two years when Thadd was transferred to Baltimore, Maryland. I was doing temp work at the time so at least I wasn't having to quit another job. 
 
We were only in Baltimore about four months before he got transferred again, this time to Pittsburgh, PA. Luckily, his company was packing us and moving us each of these times or I think I would have refused to go. While I looked upon the moves as adventures, enough was enough! While in Pittsburgh, I was approaching my 40th birthday. I wanted to get married again but Thadd didn't seem to be in any rush. I finally told him I wanted to be married by my birthday or I was packing up and moving back to Florida. Guess, he decided I was worth keeping (how many women will give up a good job and move all over the place with no complaints?) though he pushed it to the last minute. We got married on November 19, 1990 (my birthday is December 2). We actually got married in Marion, Ohio (his hometown) at the courthouse with his brother and his wife as our witnesses. Nothing romantic or fancy. We didn't even have a honeymoon because at the time, we couldn't afford one. We will be married 23 years this year and I wouldn't trade one minute of it. We have been through a lot 'together' (that is the key word). More later...........

9 comments:

  1. Ah that is so lovely Joy, gorgeous flowers do love the look of that fruit bouquet looks amazing. Look forward to hearing the rest. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful story. I had to laugh about your Murphy's law because if you were going back in my blog, you would notice we have a Murphy here too . He lives with us but only wakes up when Dennis travels (what is pretty often). As soon as hubby is out of the door, things go wrong here, car doesn't start, washing machine packs up, no heating, both dogs sick, the door bell stops working ... it's unbelievable and it's never a day before, only as soon as he leaves, on the clock.
    We also got married alone, with the photographer and the car driver as witnesses and no honeymoon. It was too complicated otherwise (may be another story), but still it was nice.
    Glad you have Internet again. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well romance isn't everything and 23 years speaks for a lot of love and companionship. Thanks for sharing your story. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love hearing the stories made more so from meeting you both and Thadd is a treasure xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you were committed to do all those moves. Glad that Thadd saw that commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lovely story. Glad Thad was as committed as you in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your story - I am glad that Thadd was worth all those moves and that you are still happy together. Romantic gestures are often overrated. I find the edible arrangement an absolutely brilliant idea for a present.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous flowers! I love your story, too.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
    /I think you have trained a wonderful husband! - Smile/
    This is great!

    ReplyDelete