Saturday, February 23, 2013

BFF's and Love Songs

As I have mentioned in some of my comments on other's posts, I have never had a lot of BFF's though I have had a lot of friends. I had girl friends that I played dolls with when I was young, girl friends that I had sleep overs with in high school where we would go to dances earlier in the evening and then stay up half of the night talking about the boys we danced with, and girl friends over the years in the different states I lived in. Most of them I have lost touch with or they have passed away. I do have one friend that I have had since I was about eight years old but we haven't seen each other in years. We exchange Christmas cards every year and pass messages back and forth on FaceBook admiring each other kids and grandkids. She is my oldest friend and I guess at one time I would have considered her my BFF (but we didn't have BFF's back then). I can say without hesitation though if she called me tomorrow and said she needed me, I would be there in a heartbeat. Truly, my husband has been my BFF for many years now. So much of the time that we have been together we have moved so many times that I couldn't really make long lasting friends. He has always been there for me. I can talk to him about anything and for the most part (he is a man and they don't think like women do) he gives me the most sound advice and truly cares about whatever it is I am carrying on about. He is always honest with me even if it is not what I want to hear (yes, those pants to make you look bigger LOL).

I am a big music lover and I have had different songs that I could relate to events in my life at just about any given time. Like Lynne said about her song IF that the group Bread sang, I used to love Air Supply. So many of their songs soothed me through heartache from my failed first marriage to my often short lived boyfriends. Then there was Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" that I thought would be my theme song for the rest of my life until I met Thadd.

We do have 'our' song. It is by the Righteous Brothers and it is called 'Unchained Melody'. When he first moved to New Jersey and I was left behind here in Florida, I would call the local radio station where he lived and ask them to play the song and dedicate it to him (only first names were used) but if he heard it, he would know I was thinking and missing him. To this day we still dance to this song when we hear it (if we are someplace where we can). I tried to put the song here in my blog but I can't get it to work right. Sorry.

I will have to go through some of my old pictures to see if I can find some 'nostalgic' ones to scan and share with you.

5 comments:

  1. Another one who loves unchained melody too :)

    I can imagine Thadd's honesty and the look you would give him if you weren't happy about what he said LOL!!

    A lovely blog about friendships today, thank you for sharing it with us xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Total Eclipse of the Heart and some other songs by Bonnie Tyler! It is true that if you move a lot you can't make lasting friendships and marriage usually doesn't leave a lot of time and space for friends. So you are lucky that you can talk to your husband and share things with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh another favourite of mine songs. Lovely post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are wonderful!
    Yes, the man next to us is our best friend, lover and husband.
    Your blog is very interesting and useful. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete