Tuesday, January 15, 2013

This week - Nostalgia

I am afraid I am a little behind. As much as I would like to, I can't always blog everyday, at least for now. Beginning next month it may be a different story because finally, I AM RETIRING! YaY! January 31st will be my last day at work. I am so excited. It is a shame the word isn't euphoria this week because I would have that down in a heart beat!

Now that I have gotten that out of the way, let me say that nostalgia is a very good word for me. I have a lot of that. Don't know if it is good or bad, but either way, it is the truth. I have always said that I was born at the wrong time. I think I would have fit in much better during the same time as my mother (except I don't think I would have liked the 'depression'). From the time I was a small child I always wanted to be like my mom. She was a stay at home mother. She would be up to make our breakfast before we went to school and always there when we got home. She didn't drive and my dad was a long distance truck driver so we did a lot of walking or taking a bus or taxi to where we needed to go while he was gone. We didn't have a lot of money but we had everything necessary for a happy family.

I am the youngest of three children. My sister is the oldest (7 years my senior), then my brother (3 years my senior), then me.  My father passed away when I was only 21 and my mom has been gone for seven years. I miss her terribly still. Even though I was a 'daddy's girl' growing up, after he passed, my mom and I became very close. You know how they say women become their mothers? Well, I have definitely become mine and I am very proud of it. She was the strongest, wisest person I have ever known. I hope my daughter will think the same thing of me as I get older.

Here are a few nostalgic pictures. The first is my senior high school prom with my first husband.


This is my son when he was seven and my daughter who would have been about three months old. We always teased her that she looked like a little monkey. LOL



This is me and my son when he was around two years old. He is going to be 43 this year!


And last but not least, a collage of photos of when Thadd (my current husband) and I got married.


That is all for today. I hope you all enjoy the photos. I will have to restrain myself on this challenge because I could probably write volumes and post a thousand pictures! xxx

8 comments:

  1. Excellent post - thank you so much for this!
    Interesting is to learn that for you.
    I really liked the way you do it - you're a great storyteller. I felt nostalgia here.
    You have chosen great photos.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to be reading your reminiscing today. I love all the photos too. xxx
    Congrats on finishing work on 31st. You will love retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your last day at work and how great to be retiring, you can do what you want when you want to :) Lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on your retirement, how fabulous :D

    I enjoyed looking at your wedding and children's photos. Thank you for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing. I wish I could get retired soon !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I think I envy you the retirement, thoug I have missed working iwth my husband and our office guys this week whilst I have been on baby mode.. Part time would be perfect, though some say I am already.. Well it pays to be one of the bosses.. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will enjoy your retirement I'm sure. Roland and I really love ours. In fact we seem to be busier than when we worked, but doing things we want to do.
    You photos show us great reminiscences of your life.

    ReplyDelete