Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nostalgia Challenge - 5 Things

Our challenge this week to tell everyone five things they don't know about me. Well, it can be about me,"or just plain trivia, be as deep and meaningful or frivolous as you like". I'm pretty open in my blogs so I don't know if there is a lot I can say about myself that you may not already know so I hope I am not repeating myself. This is the first three we are being asked:

Your birt
hplace
I was actually born in Charleston, West Virginia. People tease me about it because some feel that West Virginia is about as backwards as a place can be. Jokes are made all of the time about people from West Virginia marrying their brothers, cousins, etc. inferring that people from there are inbred dummies. Most of the jokes are innocent fun but because of it, I don't go around telling everyone where I was born. I am not ashamed of it but I am not always in the mood to hear the jokes. West Virginia is a beautiful state in the Blue Ridge Mountains. It used to have mostly coal mines as its major industry. Many of my relatives (before my time) were coal miners). My parents moved to Florida when I was just a few months old so I consider myself a Floridian more than anything else.

The things you just can't leave home without
For the most part I don't leave home without my phone but there are times I do. Not right now of course because my daughter can go into labor anytime. We are all on pins and needles waiting. The one other thing I have trouble leaving the house without (and not always by choice) is my dog Toby. He thinks he should go everywhere I go. If I am going some place he can't go, I have to have a long conversation with him and explain why he can't go, where I'm going, and when I will be back. Otherwise, he will bark the whole time I am gone. Interestingly, after I have my talk with him, he seems to understand and behaves himself. LOL

The oldest piece of clothing in your wardrobe
Since I have been in the process of cleaning out all of my closets and dressers, I don't have much of anything left, let alone, something old. I would say the oldest item in my closet is my cowboy boots. I bought them in Nashville, Tennessee about 25 years ago (give or take a little). I still wear them occasionally.

Here are a couple of nostalgic pictures. One is of my mom when she was thirty something. If she was still living she would be 97 next month. Sadly, she passed away in 2005. The other picture is of my son when he was around two. He is now 43. Times sure does fly!


 
As usual, I am enjoying reading everyone's posts. Have a good evening and I will post again later this week.
xxx

9 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear some more information about you Joyce. I read some books by Adriana Trigiani about the Blue-Ridge mountains of virginia I think, they were lovely books. I hear it is a beautiful place. Kathi will back me up i'm sure, we live in the west country as it is known in England and we often get these jokes too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read about you. Your mum was so beautiful ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get news soon and all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I have been to charlestown beautiful place as are the blue ridge mountains, mind you they were covered in clouds the day we saw them or tried to. lol.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have travelled a little of the Blue Ridge Mts from N Carolina to Ashville!! beautiful country.

    As Jennie has said there are many parts of England where people joke about where they come from!

    Would love to see those cowboy boots, ..please take a photo xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. /Barely today I found time to read./
    Excellent post - congratulations! I also love to learn more about you. I think you are a strong woman. The pictures are wonderful!
    The history of your dog - amazing!
    Strange - the technique is so highly developed. People did a lot, but we don't know the language of animals. The animals seem learned the language of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you explain to your dog that he can't go with you. If the cat is around when I leave I always tell him when I will be home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to tell you that after your post on Laugh, I bought the video you talked about "Old dogs". We watched it on Friday night and it was so so so funny. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Jen is right, we west country girls can get the ooooo-arrrrrrr teasing about being country folk, but so many of us are just plain normal, though some towns near us do seem to have a lot of extreme country folk!
    Loving yourdog tales and aren't pics of our young mums lovely,reminds us that they were lively and agile too. Xx

    ReplyDelete