Tuesday, September 17, 2013

September Nostalgia

Since my birthday is in December, I too started 'normal' school at five years of age. We didn't have preschool or kindergarten back then, so you went straight into the first grade which was all day. We walked to school (I had an older brother and sister) which was probably 1/2 mile away. Parents felt perfectly safe letting their children walk to just about anywhere back then. I wouldn't have wanted my mom along anyway as I was an adventurous, independent type kid. We only had one car which my father drove to Lakeland (an hour away) to start his job driving a truck, so that left us with none at the house. It didn't matter, my mom didn't drive. If it was raining, we took an umbrella or our slickers. No rides for us!

I always enjoyed school and had great fun learning. What we were taught back then is very different from today and teachers were allowed to actually give us a hug if necessary and/or threaten to paddle us if we misbehaved. I wouldn't want to be in school today with the way things are now (at least in the US).

All of my pictures from my elementary school days are packed away but I will look for some from my middle school that I think are still around later in the week.

For now I will leave you with a couple of pictures of Henry and Spencer. They always make me smile.

Henry driving his golf cart down the sidewalk. He does a good job too.

My sweet little Spencer!

Take care everyone! xxxxx

6 comments:

  1. Those photos are gorgeous, just want to give him hugd xxx

    Many thanks for my birthday wishes on FB xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. Yes I had forgotten that at the time, it was OK for a teacher to give us a hug. Take care, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Joy - thank you - it reminded me of the time when I went to school - also on foot.
    Congratulations for your photos - your grandchildren are lovely jewelry!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spencer and Henry are lovely.
    I also went to school on foot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweet grandsons you have and so photogenic. I also always walked to school. It was a different century and a different world in those days wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite teacher at Junior School always gave us a hug, she was lovely and very inspirational. She is now the deputy head at the same school that my sons have or are attending and she still gives them a bit of a hug. x

    ReplyDelete