Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wednesday - Memorable Sculpture or Art

Sorry for not doing Tuesday but at this point I don't really have a craft heaven so I had nothing to post. So, on to today's prompt. If any of you have ever been to Washington, DC you know that there are many works of art or sculptures along with a dozen museums.

I am a product of the 60's which was during the time of the Vietnam War. I lost many male friends in that war. Organizations sold POW/MIA bracelets to help us keep prisoners and missing soldiers in our hearts and prayers. Many years after the war ended I found out the man whose name was on my bracelet was killed in action. I still have that bracelet and hold it dear to my heart even though I never met the young man. So, having said all this, my most memorable sculpture or art is the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC.

The Wall That Heals

Honoring the men and women who served in the controversial Vietnam War, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial chronologically lists the names of more than 58,000 Americans who gave their lives in service to their country.
 
 




 
If you ever get the chance, go visit it. xxx

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing us these sculptures and your memories. I was a very sad time for America

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Joy , I went here and it was the most humbling moving place I ever went which wasn't to do with me personally. It is a spectacular but simple place and the number of names getting taller and taller has a great impact. I also recall the small items collected each day and taken to be collated against the names of people they were left in memory of.. a great choice xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that is moving we were going to Washington this year but have changed our minds!!!

    ReplyDelete