Friday, April 12, 2013

Vulnerable

I know I have already posted on the subject of vulnerable earlier this week, but a problem I have been experiencing brought the word into immediate focus for me today. I have been having problems all week with my blood sugar levels running high.  I am an insulin dependent diabetic. I use an insulin pump (5 years now) so my body gets what it needs to keep my blood sugar in check. This week, I have been all over the place with my readings and I don't know why. I can say, this makes me feel very VULNERABLE. I have tried different solutions and have not been able to come up with a fix. Uncontrolled blood sugars can do significant damage to your body if left for any length of time. While mine are not bad enough to make me go running to the nearest hospital ER, I am bothered by it greatly.

Today I am pushing drinking water and trying to stay away from carbohydrates as much as possible. Just about everything you eat (except for pure protein) has some form of carbs. I have been very good so far today but my blood sugars are still running high. If I can't get things back to normal by Monday, I will call my endocrinologist and ask about tweaking the settings on my pump. Illnesses can cause your blood sugar levels to go up as well. I have had sinus headaches all week, so maybe I need to see my family doctor on Monday.

Here is a picture of my insulin pump (for those of you who have never seen one LOL). It's pink!


Everyone have a good weekend. xxx


6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you have such problems. I hope you resolve them soon. May be as you say your pump just needs a tweak, sometimes these things can go wrong too.
    As of Brussel Sprouts, you are like my mum. She only can eat a couple. I am lucky enough to be able to eat loads without any side effects. Oh and to answer your question, I don't like them frozen. Part of the feeling better is cleaning and cooking them, so I always buy them fresh. Have a good week-end too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you levels settle very soon Joy, I can understand how theat must make you feel vulnerable. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get sorted soon, I think you are right we feel vulnerable when we aren't in control...hope you get the help soon and get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who has type 1 diabetes and she says feeling off colour alters her blood sugar levels. I must show her your picture of your pump I'm sure she will be very interested.
    I do hope you get your levels sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh ((((hugs))) and do hope something can be done tomorrow to make you feel better, take care xx

    ReplyDelete